Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

2 Apr, 2021
2021-4-2 7:58:26 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

The Deluxe description on Amazon has now increased to 6,000 copies.

I think it might be time to take out the word "limited" from the release description.
2 Apr, 2021
2021-4-2 8:19:10 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Trotter wrote:

I think it might be time to take out the word "limited" from the release description.

I'm just treating this as a deluxe edition in the way they used to be in the A&U days, with no claims of any kind of "limitedness". The good old days when people bought them because they were nice, not because they thought there were only a few copies!
2 Apr, 2021
2021-4-2 9:25:10 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Trotter wrote:

I'm just treating this as a deluxe edition in the way they used to be in the A&U days, with no claims of any kind of "limitedness". The good old days when people bought them because they were nice, not because they thought there were only a few copies!

Indeed! I’m surprised how many people are pre-ordering these six months in advance.
3 Apr, 2021
2021-4-3 1:16:08 AM UTC

Ithildin wrote:

I would like to share some more pics of the LotR 50th Anniversary Edition 2004, Contributor's Copy, a very special book.
It is one of only 30 presentation copies from HarperCollins, given as a gift to contributors of the 50th anniversary edition 2004 and never offered for sale officially.
So to say, this is a kind of template for the new Deluxe Edition. I'm very curious to see the differences between both editions in real life.

Stu - I thought it was interesting that our “issues” with the new edition - specifically, that the red and black combination is too jarring, that the red is too tomato-bright, and that the Tolkien signature is unnecessary on the front board - are all non existent in the original 2004 deluxe edition. ☺️
3 Apr, 2021
2021-4-3 4:19:28 AM UTC

eorl wrote:

Ithildin wrote:

I would like to share some more pics of the LotR 50th Anniversary Edition 2004, Contributor's Copy, a very special book.
It is one of only 30 presentation copies from HarperCollins, given as a gift to contributors of the 50th anniversary edition 2004 and never offered for sale officially.
So to say, this is a kind of template for the new Deluxe Edition. I'm very curious to see the differences between both editions in real life.

Stu - I thought it was interesting that our “issues” with the new edition - specifically, that the red and black combination is too jarring, that the red is too tomato-bright, and that the Tolkien signature is unnecessary on the front board - are all non existent in the original 2004 deluxe edition. ☺️

Oh, absolutely, the 30 copy 2004 limited edition is a far more attractive book.
3 Apr, 2021 (edited)
2021-4-3 4:52:00 AM UTC
Well, I actually pre-ordered from Book Depository. Was £92 delivered to NZ (which includes our 15% GST). I figure it might end up with cheaper options (I can see £75 + postage being where the big discounters end up), but BD has a decent track record recently of bulk-shipping to NZ, so the packages seem to do OK when they just have the internal leg.

Edit: I wonder where the "limitation" will be at by the time it releases? 10,000 copies?
3 Apr, 2021
2021-4-3 4:38:43 PM UTC
Even if it were 3,000, I have a feeling that it would take a while to sell out. Granted, it's more 'popular' than The Silmarillion or Unfinished Tales recent editions; an expensive book remains an expensive book.

As far as I'm aware, you can still get Unfinished Tales (brand new via retailers)
3 Apr, 2021
2021-4-3 8:06:50 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

Even if it were 3,000, I have a feeling that it would take a while to sell out. Granted, it's more 'popular' than The Silmarillion or Unfinished Tales recent editions; an expensive book remains an expensive book.

As far as I'm aware, you can still get Unfinished Tales (brand new via retailers)

Yes, I believe it is still available. I'd imagine they have upped the print run so they have loads for the Christmas market, given it is released in October.
3 Apr, 2021
2021-4-3 8:32:49 PM UTC
There is a good chance that they are now planning for the US market as well, which prior deluxe editions couldn’t be released in.
3 Apr, 2021
2021-4-3 9:57:22 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

There is a good chance that they are now planning for the US market as well, which prior deluxe editions couldn’t be released in.

Indeed. I can't imagine this isn't also a factor -- which is why I suspect it will end up more than 6,000.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us