Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

3 Apr, 2021
2021-4-3 10:11:16 PM UTC
the market is so crazy right now that I don't think a publishing house decides to restrict the limitation knowing the potential of possible buyers so yes the limited edition will not be limited much ?
7 Apr, 2021
2021-4-7 1:14:01 PM UTC
I agree that the de luxe is not really a LE at all. The print run is too large and it’s referred to as a limited first edition. So just marketing blurb.

I am looking forward to this edition and have ordered both the de luxe and standard editions. I’m not sold on the red text block and Ring Tengwar on the standard edition. It looks a little garish and over the top. It might look better in the flesh. On the standard edition I’m not sure if we are seeing a mock up of the book without its die cut jacket or not. The mock up looks like it’s depicting the boards rather than the dust jacket.

The really intriguing thing for me is what’s going to be on those extra pages. I don’t think the additional pages are due to typesetting and Harper Collins have said there will be additional material published in the book. But what? Some of the essays from HOME perhaps?
7 Apr, 2021
2021-4-7 3:25:42 PM UTC
I'd like to read the entire essay Tolkien wrote after seeing (and disliked) the LotR characters drawn by Pauline Baynes on her map. Only a few paragraphs were published, but the entire essay is 30 pages long (Tolkien Papers A61 a, fol. 1–31).
7 Apr, 2021
2021-4-7 7:14:23 PM UTC
Added Goldsboro Books to the links at the start of this thread, they specifically mention how they package books for delivery.
7 Apr, 2021
2021-4-7 10:56:57 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

Added Goldsboro Books to the links at the start of this thread, they specifically mention how they package books for delivery.

Thank you for adding Goldsboro Books Trotter

Does anyone know why Blackwell shows the deluxe edition as OOS? Did the pre-order opened at a time or not?
7 Apr, 2021
2021-4-7 10:58:11 PM UTC
I purchased my signed standard edition UT from Goldsboro. Packaging of the book was excellent (and it came with a mylar protector). Of course, I paid RRP for it.
7 Apr, 2021
2021-4-7 11:40:21 PM UTC
Bad orange on that deluxe spine, bad.
8 Apr, 2021
2021-4-8 12:13:07 AM UTC

Arbor wrote:

Bad orange on that deluxe spine, bad.

Orange is good for small sports cars and fruit. For everything else, it is basically terrible.
8 Apr, 2021
2021-4-8 12:18:31 AM UTC

remy wrote:

Urulókë wrote:

I think it is interesting to note that Amazon UK is geoblocking the deluxe and trade editions if a USA shipping address is used, but they are pre-orderable if you have a UK shipping address (or potentially other markets, I didn't test beyond US and UK).

They did this with the recent Silmarillion Deluxe also.

But within a few weeks of release date this changed and you could preorder from non UK addresses.

The Deluxe Edition can now be pre-ordered from Amazon UK (from non UK Addresses including USA)
8 Apr, 2021
2021-4-8 12:44:00 AM UTC
Worth saying Amazon.co.uk doesn't deliver physical goods to Australia or New Zealand because they don't want to comply with our tax laws, so anyone from this part of the world will need to look elsewhere.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us