Pictures by J.R.R. Tolkien
$30.87
TolkienGuide is a Blackwell's affiliate
Tolkien Collector's Guide
By Jlong
Home away from home

Old Newspaper Advertisement for The Return of the King

Apr 13
2021/4/13 21:22:35 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

I've been doing some research and found this old newspaper advertisement for The Return of the King. I think most of us here would probably agree with Auden. :)

251_60760af6a089a.jpg 363X444 px
Apr 14
2021/4/14 4:32:57 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Looks to be a very similar advert to the one featured on Tolkienbooks.net in the Pauline Baynes section.

http://tolkienbooks.net/php/1st-deluxe-lr.php
Apr 14
2021/4/14 5:43:49 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Very true. I've seen this flag in several advertisements with different text--I think I might have even come across that one from Tolkienbooks.net if I remember correctly.
Apr 14
2021/4/14 15:36:36 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
It is a cool flag!

Tolkienbooks.net makes a definitive statement that the flag was drawn by Pauline Baynes. Is this corroborated somewhere else? I'm also curious to know if Tolkien ever saw it/made a comment on it.
Apr 14
2021/4/14 17:49:14 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
There is a series of letters dating from October 1955 regarding the illustration in the A&U correspondence archive.

Three versions were created; the other two probably weren't used as they were corrected from five stars to seven. Another version with a crown above seven stars above a tree was discussed but not submitted - because it did not work.

The production quality on the version here is very poor, but I think both adverts started from the same original drawing.
Jump to Last