Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

19 Apr, 2021
2021-4-19 9:27:13 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

Of course the dust-jacket is nearly complete, shame it is a 14th impression jacket from 1963,
This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: 321jboy
(481)
Ended Apr 19, 2021
This item ended more than 90 days ago

I did let the seller know the DJ was a not 1e, 2p. He pulled it, will ask someone who knows, & asked how you can tell? The LR blurb was a big clue & pointed him to TCG.
20 Apr, 2021
2021-4-20 5:52:37 AM UTC

Arbor wrote:

I did let the seller know the DJ was a not 1e, 2p. He pulled it, will ask someone who knows, & asked how you can tell? The LR blurb was a big clue & pointed him to TCG.
He is very welcome to ask on this site if he wants more info on the book. He lives about 5 miles away from me, and in more normal times I would have said that he could bring the book over and I'd give him advice in person.
20 Apr, 2021
2021-4-20 6:54:23 AM UTC

Arbor wrote:

Trotter wrote:

Of course the dust-jacket is nearly complete, shame it is a 14th impression jacket from 1963,
Seller: 321jboy
(481)
Ended Apr 19, 2021

Er.. the fact that says "FOURTEENTH IMPRESSION" is kind of a giveaway. The totally different flap text wouldn't be indentifiable by someone without Hobbit (or LoTR) knowledge, but you would have to a bit daft not to understand that "SECOND IMPRESSION" != "FOURTEENTH IMPRESSION"
23 Apr, 2021
2021-4-23 5:23:13 AM UTC
Ha ha.

Seller: luckysupplyco
(46)
Ended Sep 30, 2021
23 Apr, 2021
2021-4-23 5:48:27 AM UTC
This must be a joke. The alleged “signature” is so faded it could have been written by anyone.
23 Apr, 2021
2021-4-23 5:55:34 AM UTC

Quicksilver wrote:

This must be a joke. The alleged “signature” is so faded it could have been written by anyone.

Technically the seller is correct and it is signed. No idea who signed it and why they think it is $2500, I think more like $5 in that condition.
23 Apr, 2021
2021-4-23 6:10:07 AM UTC

Trotter wrote:

Technically the seller is correct and it is signed. No idea who signed it and why they think it is $2500, I think more like $5 in that condition.

Hah! And I agree completely. Played with it in photoshop for a few minutes. It says "Christmas 66 - the C***** Family" (Can't make out the name, don't care).
23 Apr, 2021
2021-4-23 6:15:36 AM UTC
Very sneaky and unscrupulous. The seller says “ the appearance of signed items is so rare that the item’s value is great”, clearly implying the signature is Tolkien’s, although he does not directly state it. I’m sure the unlucky buyer (if anyone is stupid enough to buy it) will be able to make out the signature and will then have every ground for a PayPal complaint and refund. The seller does not accept returns, naturally....

The listing is a blatant fraud. If Uruloke can read the signature in Photoshop, the seller must be able to make it out on the original?
23 Apr, 2021
2021-4-23 6:22:25 AM UTC

Quicksilver wrote:

Very sneaky and unscrupulous. The seller says “ the appearance of signed items is so rare that the item’s value is great”, clearly implying the signature is Tolkien’s, although he does not directly state it. I’m sure the unlucky buyer will be able to make out the signature and will then have every ground for a PayPal complaint and refund. The seller does not accept returns, naturally....

It won't sell at $2500, can see them relisting and starting from $1, might sell then as some people think they are getting a bargain signature. If you did buy on this description you would not have any grounds for a refund, remember 'buyer beware' is a very good motto for signed items.
23 Apr, 2021
2021-4-23 6:24:13 AM UTC
Very true, Trotter. I’m tempted to ask the seller what the signature says and if it’s really Tolkien’s, just for the hell of it and to see what he says.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us