Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

23 Apr, 2021
2021-4-23 7:45:05 AM UTC
So much wrong with this listing, got to be the worst facsimile dust-jacket that I have ever seen.

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: iconicfirsts
(2126)
Ended Dec 20, 2021
This item ended more than 90 days ago
23 Apr, 2021
2021-4-23 12:12:06 PM UTC
This "signed boxset" listing has been up for a long time...at least a year. And the seller has not dropped the price in all that time.
27 Apr, 2021
2021-4-27 5:08:31 AM UTC
How can this be possible? This really upsets me: a book that brand new on Amazon costs ~10 pounds being sold for 94! Is there a way to report that the price is ridiculously high?

Seller: loveourprices2
(81880)
Ended Sep 27, 2021
27 Apr, 2021
2021-4-27 12:05:09 PM UTC

Ligandil wrote:

How can this be possible? This really upsets me: a book that brand new on Amazon costs ~10 pounds being sold for 94! Is there a way to report that the price is ridiculously high?

Seller: loveourprices2
(81880)
Ended Sep 27, 2021

This will be seen more and more as we get closer to the Amazon series and people (many of whom with very little buying experience) start suffering from Tolkien sickness. All we can do is highlight the crazy prices.

As for the law, there is none that stops this, and being frank, if people are daft enough to not research a £94 purchase then they only have themselves to blame.
27 Apr, 2021
2021-4-27 6:24:38 PM UTC
I understand your reasoning, but some people may be beginners, and for some reason or another may be scammed by this unreasonable price.

This one is easy to spot, but there may be other items that are only easily spotted by experts.

It just angers me how people want to take advantage of others, that's all
27 Apr, 2021
2021-4-27 7:50:17 PM UTC

Ligandil wrote:

I understand your reasoning, but some people may be beginners, and for some reason or another may be scammed by this unreasonable price.

This one is easy to spot, but there may be other items that are only easily spotted by experts.

Don't get me wrong, I too do not like to see people ripped off but we have so many resources to work with nowadays that my sympathy is minimal. Someone just posted on Reddit asking what price they should expect from a Silmarillion first. I suggested £25. I wouldn't pay more than that. Someone else pointed out to me that on Catawiki a copy was at €160, it has now sold. I did not see the final price but saw the listing and it was indeed that high after more than a dozen bids. People are off their trolleys.
27 Apr, 2021
2021-4-27 8:34:12 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Ligandil wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I too do not like to see people ripped off but we have so many resources to work with nowadays that my sympathy is minimal. Someone just posted on Reddit asking what price they should expect from a Silmarillion first. I suggested £25. I wouldn't pay more than that. Someone else pointed out to me that on Catawiki a copy was at €160, it has now sold. I did not see the final price but saw the listing and it was indeed that high after more than a dozen bids. People are off their trolleys.

Agreed. People have gone nuts. Even if we were to hypothesise inflation of 25% based on pure money printing, that should make a Silmarillion no more than a £20 book, given last year you could find them at £10-15 all day long.

I've stopped even looking at eBay and Abe for the most part now (I'll have a look once or twice a week). I'm not going to spend all day checking eBay in case a lucky BIN comes up for something, and buying anything interesting at Auction for a fair price seems somewhat unlikely.

Also, I had never previously heard of catawiki. Learnt something new.
27 Apr, 2021
2021-4-27 8:58:21 PM UTC
S prices have risen noticeably over the last year. Paying a pile for a really smart copy doesn't matter much (I suppose) if you're happy & it's the only copy you're buying. But people are buying really ordinary copies for silly money. It just makes the collecting look careless. If indeed these buyers are collecting. If this is just for a nice reading copy, buy away...
27 Apr, 2021
2021-4-27 9:21:00 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

S prices have risen noticeably over the last year. Paying a pile for a really smart copy doesn't matter much (I suppose) if you're happy & it's the only copy you're buying. But people are buying really ordinary copies for silly money. It just makes the collecting look careless. If indeed these buyers are collecting. If this is just for a nice reading copy, buy away...

I'd love to survey some of the buyers and understand why they are buying and why they think the price they are paying makes sense (given last year they clearly didn't have any interest or they would have bought one or more then).
27 Apr, 2021
2021-4-27 9:23:13 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

Khamûl wrote:

I'd love to survey some of the buyers and understand why they are buying and why they think the price they are paying makes sense (given last year they clearly didn't have any interest or they would have bought one or more then).

Question 1: Why did you buy?

A: It is currently hip.

Question 2: Why did you buy for such a high price?

A: It is currently hip.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us