The Fellowship of the Ring: Book 1 (The Lord of the Rings)
£28.00
TolkienGuide is an Amazon.co.uk affiliate
Tolkien Collector's Guide
May 2
2021/5/2 6:39:52 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Huan68 wrote:

This is my one. The book as I said is in great condition, but the slipcase is scruffy as shown


That slipcase isn't too bad, to be honest. They are very rarely in non-scruffy condition, as the paper coating is the opposite of durable.
May 2
2021/5/2 7:31:49 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Ligandil wrote:

I saw this one today for $80 including shipping. Condition is not great, though. Some erasing on the cover and spine.

Seller: the7thstar
(472)
Ended May 6, 2021
Buy-It-Now:
£30.00
Submitted by: Ligandil

It seems it lacks the slipcase/box, am I right?
In the description the seller writes "Deluxe Edition - this is the ninth Impression (Which apparently didn't include the slip case)": I don't know he/she's referring specifically to his/her book or broadly to the 9th impression of this edition (but according to http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details2.php?id=438 the 9th impr was issued in a box).
May 2
2021/5/2 7:50:44 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Mauro D86 wrote:

Ligandil wrote:

I saw this one today for $80 including shipping. Condition is not great, though. Some erasing on the cover and spine.

Seller: the7thstar
(472)
Ended May 6, 2021
Buy-It-Now:
£30.00
Submitted by: Ligandil

It seems it lacks the slipcase/box, am I right?
In the description the seller writes "Deluxe Edition - this is the ninth Impression (Which apparently didn't include the slip case)": I don't know he/she's referring specifically to his/her book or broadly to the 9th impression of this edition (but according to http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details2.php?id=438 the 9th impr was issued in a box).

Yes, that copy is lacking the box it was issued in. I'd suggest waiting for a better copy (and possibly spending £10 - 20 more)
May 2
2021/5/2 7:56:25 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Seller: astralfield
(696)
Ended May 18, 2021
Buy-It-Now:
£2,200.00
Submitted by: Trotter
May 2
2021/5/2 12:16:49 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Stu wrote:

Mauro D86 wrote:

Ligandil wrote:

I saw this one today for $80 including shipping. Condition is not great, though. Some erasing on the cover and spine.

Seller: the7thstar
(472)
Ended May 6, 2021
Buy-It-Now:
£30.00
Submitted by: Ligandil

It seems it lacks the slipcase/box, am I right?
In the description the seller writes "Deluxe Edition - this is the ninth Impression (Which apparently didn't include the slip case)": I don't know he/she's referring specifically to his/her book or broadly to the 9th impression of this edition (but according to http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details2.php?id=438 the 9th impr was issued in a box).

Yes, that copy is lacking the box it was issued in. I'd suggest waiting for a better copy (and possibly spending £10 - 20 more)

These come up all the time, for very affordable prices, esp the later boxed ones. I have a boxed and a slipcased edition and both I were able to bargain down for under 50 USD...actually the one that is hard to find is the later UnwinHyman LOTR. That one I'm still looking for.
May 2
2021/5/2 23:00:42 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Seller: x-donna
(2345)
Ended May 12, 2021
£51.00
[10 Bids]
Submitted by: Urulókë
Seller: jakcowplan-0
(48)
Ended May 9, 2021
£120.00
[0 Bids]
Submitted by: Urulókë
May 4
2021/5/4 23:00:31 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Seller: colgate-biology
(871)
Ended May 11, 2021
$204.01
[35 Bids]
Submitted by: Urulókë
May 4
2021/5/4 23:09:13 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

TCGBot wrote:

Seller: colgate-biology
(871)
Ended May 11, 2021
$204.01
[35 Bids]
Submitted by: Urulókë

I've been following this bid. It went from $0.99 to $30 in 13 hours!
May 5
2021/5/5 2:42:58 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Part of the price jump is that they are in a complete set and in not too bad of shape. The ACE editions are interesting to me as I see them listed for all sorts of prices from two to four figures in price.

It's like dealers don't quite know how to pin down the market value for them.
May 5
2021/5/5 4:59:10 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Part of the price jump is that they are in a complete set and in not too bad of shape. The ACE editions are interesting to me as I see them listed for all sorts of prices from two to four figures in price.

It's like dealers don't quite know how to pin down the market value for them.

I don't think this is a dealer, is it? It's just a popular set. Tends to go for $50-75 from what I've seen (if they're are in ok shape, which they often aren't). Please tell me if I'm wrong.
Jump to Last