Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Dust jacket covers

11 Aug, 2021
2021-8-11 2:42:52 PM UTC

Hi guys,

Really hope ive posted on the correct part of the forum. Just been reorganising my Tolkien book collection and was looking at dustjacket covers mainly for my signed Alan Lee copies of Beren and Luthien, Children of Hurin etc..

Is there any particular brand or size you would recommend for these? Ive never used them before so im completely out the loop on whats best.

Thanks very much,
Graham
11 Aug, 2021
2021-8-11 2:51:46 PM UTC
Brodart tends to be the suggested solution, they have a PDF on how to use their product on the website http://www.shopbrodart.com/_resources ... es/PDF/2017_BJC_Guide.pdf

This thread has links for getting them in Europe and the UK https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... t_id=32930#forumpost32930
11 Aug, 2021
2021-8-11 3:13:59 PM UTC
Thats perfect thank you! I will get some ordered now. Looking at that thread the 12" size seems to be the go to size, is that correct?
11 Aug, 2021
2021-8-11 4:31:15 PM UTC
The Brodart covers (and similar from other manufacturers) can be folded down to fit exactly the height of each jacket that you are protecting. My recommendation is to get a size that is just tall enough to cover the standard trade books (I last ordered 12" "Just a Fold" SKU 10190004 myself) and then you might also want a taller version for the art books/oversized books at some point as well.

Also I recommend to get a "bone knife" (doesn't have to be bone, can be other materials like teflon or plastic too) that makes creasing the folds so much easier and crisp.

For those in the USA I know there is the below promotion running (perhaps it will work similarly in the UK and elsewhere too?)

1_6113fbf72a2df.jpeg 629X688 px
11 Aug, 2021
2021-8-11 4:46:54 PM UTC
For the books you mention I’d go for the 10” pockets. I use them a lot for that size of book. Very easy to use and I personally don’t use a bone knife as there are perforations to fold along.
11 Aug, 2021
2021-8-11 8:19:07 PM UTC
I personally just use 12" Just-A-Fold in the roll format for pretty much everything.
12 Aug, 2021
2021-8-12 8:02:00 PM UTC
Just out of curiosity: Which books do all of you protect with covers? Only the more expensive and/or rarer ones? All DJs? Also books without DJs? Paperbacks? Books with slipcases (if they still fit in)?
12 Aug, 2021
2021-8-12 8:25:54 PM UTC

NoUse wrote:

Just out of curiosity: Which books do all of you protect with covers? Only the more expensive and/or rarer ones? All DJs? Also books without DJs? Paperbacks? Books with slipcases (if they still fit in)?

Not paperbacks, but essentially all hardbacks except those with slipcases, as usually those don't fit.
12 Aug, 2021
2021-8-12 8:25:55 PM UTC

NoUse wrote:

Not paperbacks, but essentially all hardbacks except those with slipcases, as usually those don't fit. I only have a handful of books without DJs or slipcases, and I think only one has a protector on it.
12 Aug, 2021
2021-8-12 10:35:46 PM UTC
I put all of my hardcovers that have dustjackets in Brodart - most of the slipcased editions have enough room to fit, if you fold the brodart sleeve very accurately to the exact height of the DJ (which is why my personal preference is not for the perforated versions, but that's just me).

Seeing the difference in dustjacket condition after reading a book is night and day - the brodart protected jacket is still in the same shape as when purchased - an unprotected jacket has edgewear, corner bumps, etc. I just like all my jackets looking fresh and new.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us