-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

18 Aug, 2021
2021-8-18 11:36:01 PM UTC

Demis wrote:

Stu wrote:

Urulókë wrote:

Demis wrote:

What is your expectation on price for the fellowship? Does anyone here have any references of similar sales lately? Thank you

It is near £4000 already with nine days to go. I hazard a guess it will reach ~£10,000 or so in this current hot market.

Pick a random number. It only takes two people who happen to want to fight it out to generate a very high price. The next week the price might be totally different. I would also guess 10K or more.

Thank you for your feedback guys. I got a deal with the buyer after all and bought it! Hence he finished the auction early..

Being a long term user of ebay (both to buy and sell items) I can agree that it is ‘anything goes’… I have found myself many times in the position to bid in good faith only for the buyer to end the auction early… hence when I really want something I tend to ask the seller if he would consider an offer. If he says yes, then he would consider an offer from anyone - so it might as well be me…

Congratulations on your purchase!
18 Aug, 2021 (edited)
2021-8-18 11:37:41 PM UTC

Ligandil wrote:

Stu wrote:

Ligandil wrote:

https://affiliates.abebooks.com/c/9724 ... 3Dsnippet-_-srp1-_-title3

Every time one of these comes up for sale, I'm happily reminded of this crazy episode:

https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... php?topic_id=2843&start=0

that was amusing to read! Now I understand where comments on that seller come from.

Also, I was pretty sure this particular book wouldn't be available for long. I know it's very scarce but it's still a lot of money .

OK, I'll admit to buying this. Arrived this morning, and is indeed "as new". I already have a copy (also as new), but I'll probably keep this one (instead) by virtue of it being a lower number. I only really bought it because (a) it was in NZ, and (b) I knew a Tolkien dealer/vulture would pounce on it if I didn't. I'm of the feeling that leaving obvious food on their table is not in my best interests.
19 Aug, 2021
2021-8-19 2:17:24 AM UTC
This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: lataraoxalic
(1959)
Ended Aug 19, 2021
This item ended more than 90 days ago
19 Aug, 2021
2021-8-19 5:10:04 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

Ligandil wrote:

Stu wrote:

Ligandil wrote:

Every time one of these comes up for sale, I'm happily reminded of this crazy episode:

that was amusing to read! Now I understand where comments on that seller come from.

Also, I was pretty sure this particular book wouldn't be available for long. I know it's very scarce but it's still a lot of money .

OK, I'll admit to buying this. Arrived this morning, and is indeed "as new". I already have a copy (also as new), but I'll probably keep this one (instead) by virtue of it being a lower number. I only really bought it because (a) it was in NZ, and (b) I knew a Tolkien dealer/vulture would pounce on it if I didn't. I'm of the feeling that leaving obvious food on their table is not in my best interests.

Would you say this price was a bargain price, or an average price, or maybe something else? I wasn’t able to find recent eBay sales for a comparison.
19 Aug, 2021 (edited)
2021-8-19 5:23:51 AM UTC

Ligandil wrote:

Stu wrote:

Ligandil wrote:

Stu wrote:

Ligandil wrote:

Would you say this price was a bargain price, or an average price, or maybe something else? I wasn’t able to find recent eBay sales for a comparison.

Hard to say. I paid £590 a decade or so back for my previous copy. I guess taking UK inflation into account, this one was a little bit cheaper than that (£691 in today's money, which is about £552 in 2011 pounds).

They sell so infrequently that guessing the price is hard. The last one I saw sell was that nasty condition copy (https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/auctions/274737396442), which sold for $1,500 recently - but that doesn't tell us anything other than there was one person willing to pay a lot for a very poor copy. If I had to *guess*, I'd say it was probably a good price for the current market and I could make a few hundred dollars on it without much effort or risk. It was worth the punt because it was in NZ and the shipping was only $4 + no taxes to worry about.
19 Aug, 2021
2021-8-19 6:53:48 AM UTC
Ex-lib, but might make a good reading copy or filler for someone who is trying to make a full set.

Seller: webuybooks
(1413891)
Ended Aug 19, 2021
19 Aug, 2021
2021-8-19 7:01:17 AM UTC
Would have bought it, if I wasn't on holidays...
I'm looking for this for centuries, less than £700 for a fine condition copy, that was a bargain for sure !
I'm ready for waiting another 5 years :)
19 Aug, 2021
2021-8-19 7:23:51 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

Ex-lib, but might make a good reading copy or filler for someone who is trying to make a full set.

(1413891)
Ended Aug 19, 2021

FYI: Think the photo may be a stock photo and according to description no DJ (Dustjacket: False).
19 Aug, 2021
2021-8-19 7:32:25 AM UTC

remy wrote:

Stu wrote:

(1413891)
Ended Aug 19, 2021

FYI: Think the photo may be a stock photo and according to description no DJ (Dustjacket: False).

Ahh, good catch.
19 Aug, 2021
2021-8-19 7:38:55 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

Demis wrote:

Stu wrote:

Urulókë wrote:

Demis wrote:

What is your expectation on price for the fellowship? Does anyone here have any references of similar sales lately? Thank you

It is near £4000 already with nine days to go. I hazard a guess it will reach ~£10,000 or so in this current hot market.

Pick a random number. It only takes two people who happen to want to fight it out to generate a very high price. The next week the price might be totally different. I would also guess 10K or more.

Thank you for your feedback guys. I got a deal with the buyer after all and bought it! Hence he finished the auction early..

Being a long term user of ebay (both to buy and sell items) I can agree that it is ‘anything goes’… I have found myself many times in the position to bid in good faith only for the buyer to end the auction early… hence when I really want something I tend to ask the seller if he would consider an offer. If he says yes, then he would consider an offer from anyone - so it might as well be me…

Congratulations on your purchase!

Thank you ?
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us