Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

13 Aug, 2021
2021-8-13 5:37:36 PM UTC

Ligandil wrote:

Apologies if this was posted elsewhere, but any idea how accurate this may be?

The Annotated Hobbit, Third Edition, listed on Book Depository with a release date of 25 Feb 2022. It has an ISBN of 9781328497598 and there's a book description.

https://www.bookdepository.com/Annotat ... &qid=1628868003561&sr=1-7

This is the same ISBN that I have had ordered since July 2018. The order still holds for the 19 March, 2019 release IT IS LATE...
13 Aug, 2021
2021-8-13 6:15:58 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

This is the same ISBN that I have had ordered since July 2018. The order still holds for the 19 March, 2019 release IT IS LATE...

Thanks for your replies. I ask mainly because I haven't read any edition, and I've been pondering whether to buy the 2nd edition or wait until the third one.

I got a bit excited by the BD listing, but based on onthetrail's post I could be waiting a long, long time.
13 Aug, 2021
2021-8-13 6:30:38 PM UTC
Get the 2nd Edition and The History of the Hobbit as well if you don't have that.
13 Aug, 2021
2021-8-13 7:43:28 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

Get the 2nd Edition and The History of the Hobbit as well if you don't have that.

Thanks! I do have THotH, though I haven't read it yet, it's in the queue (as so many others ).
19 Aug, 2021 (edited)
2021-8-19 8:14:12 PM UTC
Thanks to Olwe for this, subscribe to his Roving Ranger email if you have not already done so https://t.co/bVnN7PMUTp?amp=1

John Howe's Ultimate Fantasy Art Academy

John Howe Ultimate Fantasy Art Academy.jpg

Discover the creative processes and intriguing inspirations behind the work of leading fantasy artist John Howe - conceptual designer on The Lord of the Rings movie trilogy - in this comprehensive practical art book.

• Examines in fascinating detail over 150 of the artist's outstanding sketches, drawings and paintings, plus the techniques and stories behind each

• Leads you step-by-step through a range of specially commissioned drawing and painting demonstrations that reveal John's renowned artistic approach in action.

• Shares John's incredible collection of reference material, as he advises how to develop your own personal style of fantasy art.

• Discusses the rewarding journey into fantasy art, from the first steps of building a compelling portfolio to book illustration, graphic novels and the big screen.

This book will appeal to artists and fans of John Howe's work by leading you step-by-step through a range of specially commissioned demonstrations, sketches and finished paintings, some designed specifically for this book, that reveal John's renowned artistic approach in action, plus the techniques and stories behind each.

It covers a wide range of subjects, beginning with the creative process, exploring where inspiration comes from, looking at narratives and themes, gathering reference materials, organizing your working environment, and protecting and storing artwork.

Howe covers drawing materials and explores drawing and painting fantasy beings from initial inspiration and approaches to characters, symbolism and accoutrements. He begins by showing how to create different types of male and female archetypes, humans in action, armour and weapons, faces, expressions and hands, hair and costumes, and goes on to explain how to create different types of fantasy beasts: talons, wings, fangs and fire, and noble animals, interspersed throughout with exciting case studies.

The book also explores fantasy landscapes and architecture and balancing light and dark atmospheres. The final section of the book provides further inspiration and guidance on presenting work in various forms, including film work, book covers and advertising, all areas John Howe has vast experience in.

Paperback 224 pages
Publication date 09 Nov 2021
Publisher David & Charles
ISBN10 1446308928
ISBN13 9781446308929

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated

John Howe's Ultimate Fantasy Art Academy

David & Charles (2021-11-09)

$24.27 Blackwell's (paperback) - Availability: Usually dispatched within 48 hours
$6.50 Biblio - Availability: Click to check
$15.49 Amazon.com (Paperback) - Availability: Now
£15.91 Amazon.co.uk (Paperback) - Availability: Now
€15.99 Amazon.de (Taschenbuch) - Availability: Now
$6.49 AbeBooks - Availability: Click to check
$9.37 eBay US - Availability: Click to check
£14.16 eBay UK - Availability: Click to check

https://davidandcharles.com/product/jo ... mate-fantasy-art-academy/
19 Aug, 2021
2021-8-19 8:43:53 PM UTC
Anytime, Trotter - it is a very rare occasion that I get the news on something earlier than you people
19 Aug, 2021
2021-8-19 9:26:03 PM UTC

Olwe wrote:

Anytime, Trotter - it is a very rare occasion that I get the news on something earlier than you people

I’ve been talking to John about it for a few months but as usual recently, haven’t had time to write anything up! Thanks both for the announcement. ?
20 Aug, 2021
2021-8-20 3:04:29 AM UTC

Trotter wrote:

This book looks quite interesting but am unable to find it for sale as a printed book only as an eBook from Google. If you find it for sale as a printed book, please post the link.

Switzerland in Tolkien's Middle-Earth: In the footsteps of his adventurous summer journey in 1911—with hiking suggestions

Author & Publisher : Martin S. Monsch

ISBN : 978-3907323021

In 1911, at the age of nineteen, J. R. R. Tolkien embarked on an adventurous journey through the Swiss Alps; with a heavy pack, he hiked over many high passes. More than fifty years later, he mentioned in a letter to his son Michael that this trip had deeply affected him. Bilbo's journey in The Hobbit from Rivendell to the other side of the Misty Mountains, he said, was based on his own adventures in 1911.

Tolkien himself named a few specific sources of inspiration, most explicitly the Silberhorn (Silverhorn). So I wondered: Was this perhaps only the tip of the iceberg? Following in Tolkien's footsteps, I myself set out into the spectacular mountain world with its stories, myths, and legends, in search of his sources of inspiration; and little by little, a vivid and mysterious world revealed itself to me: a world that helped shape Middle-earth.

More than 100 color images accompany the author's research and discovery journey, along with 11 hiking and 3 road trip suggestions that allow readers to recreate Tolkien's experience with all its impressions themselves in the Swiss mountains.

"This book is above all else an invitation to step into Tolkien's hiking shoes, shoulder his pack, and step back a century into a world which is as far from today as Middle-earth is from our world; a guidebook of impressions, a walking tour of the nature of imagination and the imagination of nature." - John Howe

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated

Switzerland in Tolkien's Middle-Earth

Martin S. Monsch (2021-07-29)

$30.09 Blackwell's (paperback) - Availability: Unknown
$28.69 Biblio (Paperback) - Availability: Click to check
$29.95 Amazon.com (Paperback) - Availability: Now
£24.59 Amazon.co.uk (Paperback) - Availability: Now
€37.12 Amazon.de (Taschenbuch) - Availability: Now
£25.55 AbeBooks - Availability: Click to check
£17.99 eBay UK - Availability: Click to check

https://play.google.com/store/books/de ... gnid=books_booksearch_atb

Any thoughts on this book? You can at least see the table of contents and sample pages in this website, but I haven't been able to find any reviews.
20 Aug, 2021
2021-8-20 4:36:32 AM UTC
John Howe wrote an introduction for the book, with some additional thoughts:

https://www.john-howe.com/blog/2021/08/05/wandering-but-not-lost/
20 Aug, 2021
2021-8-20 5:54:49 AM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

Olwe wrote:

I’ve been talking to John about it for a few months but as usual recently, haven’t had time to write anything up! Thanks both for the announcement. ?

Show off
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us