Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

17 Oct, 2021
2021-10-17 3:33:05 PM UTC
I finally received the trade. Not very impressed with the reproduction of the artwork. At £60 RRP I would expect the images to be reproduced in their best form and not have the text from the next page showing through. The cover is nice minus the sig as Stu only pointed out one time

To those who have the deluxe. Is the artwork reproduction better than in the trade?
17 Oct, 2021
2021-10-17 6:34:48 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Tolkienreader2021 wrote:

Well they have been sold out at black wells for a bit , W orderly do have any stock of the deluxe version currently , so it could be very likely that the first edition second printing could be with sellers quite soon , I ordered a second copy of the standard version today and at that time wordery had 50 in stock of the standard edition .

I highly doubt 2nd prints will be available "quite soon" given all the supply and paper issues plaguing the global supply chain right now. We also don't know the final numbers of the initial run of both the trade and deluxe, so there is no way to know how many are left to sell. So the speculation here on 2nd prints is not helpful...

I'd be interested to know if anyone who has bought NoME this month or buys it next month gets a 2nd print.

Well It was not my intention to be "unhelpful"
17 Oct, 2021
2021-10-17 6:59:26 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

I finally received the trade. Not very impressed with the reproduction of the artwork. At £60 RRP I would expect the images to be reproduced in their best form and not have the text from the next page showing through. The cover is nice minus the sig as Stu only pointed out one time

To those who have the deluxe. Is the artwork reproduction better than in the trade?

None of the Rotolito-printed books in the last couple of years have had good image reproduction. I wonder if they are simply not set up for it. The illustrated UT and Sil are nice books in many regards, but the image quality is crap. For the Sil, I can't imagine ever picking it off the shelf vs just looking at the prior edition.
17 Oct, 2021
2021-10-17 7:12:41 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

onthetrail wrote:

None of the Rotolito-printed books in the last couple of years have had good image reproduction. I wonder if they are simply not set up for it. The illustrated UT and Sil are nice books in many regards, but the image quality is crap. For the Sil, I can't imagine ever picking it off the shelf vs just looking at the prior edition.

I was comparing some of the illustrated publications from HC over the last few years this morning and the image quality of the Alan Lee artwork in the Hobbit/LOTR boxset that was published last year is better reproduced IMO (although the wrong paper is still used) for the artwork pages. Not so dark/colors contrast better. That set was printed in Slovenia and from what I remember most everyone was pretty happy with that set.
17 Oct, 2021
2021-10-17 7:23:32 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Stu wrote:

onthetrail wrote:

I was comparing some of the illustrated publications from HC over the last few years this morning and the image quality of the Alan Lee artwork in the Hobbit/LOTR boxset that was published last year is better reproduced IMO (although the wrong paper is still used) for the artwork pages. Not so dark/colors contrast better. That set was printed in Slovenia and from what I remember most everyone was pretty happy with that set.

Yep, the Slovenian prints are totally satisfactory.
17 Oct, 2021
2021-10-17 7:28:12 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

onthetrail wrote:

I was comparing the Silm/UT verses this new trade Rings and everything about those earlier releases are better imo. The paper used is nicer to the touch, feels more premium, the images look better too. Not great but better.
17 Oct, 2021
2021-10-17 7:35:15 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Stu wrote:

onthetrail wrote:

I was comparing the Silm/UT verses this new trade Rings and everything about those earlier releases are better imo. The paper used is nicer to the touch, feels more premium, the images look better too. Not great but better.

So the image quality on the LoTR is worse than on the 2020/21 UT/Sil? Yikes.
17 Oct, 2021
2021-10-17 8:06:02 PM UTC
Moved to this thread as this book is already being discussed here.

Tolkienreader2021 wrote:

I would like (if i may ) to have a posting dedicated to only the Standard Illustrated Lord of the rings Volume, to discuss its quality, in the reproduction of the artwork to the level of quality of paper used , especially giv the fact that Both Illustrated books published this month have both been printed at the same printers in Italy. To those that have ordered and recieved ther copies what are you thoughts on this edition , are you impressed ? are you disappointed? ....discuss ...
17 Oct, 2021
2021-10-17 8:09:04 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

So the image quality on the LoTR is worse than on the 2020/21 UT/Sil? Yikes.

I think it is slightly worse. The paper is better on those other printings.
17 Oct, 2021
2021-10-17 8:14:15 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

The paper is the same in both books and I can't see any difference in the illustrations.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us