Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

30 Jan, 2022
2022-1-30 7:15:14 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

Doesn't look like a great copy, but decent enough. Let the madness commence!

That's a rough copy. Hopefully doesn't push anyone here into spending hundreds, as I think better to wait (though without BIN luck, price does tend to be high for this title).
30 Jan, 2022
2022-1-30 8:46:07 PM UTC
Yeah I feel like when the entire appeal is the dust jacket, one that looks this rough kinda defeats the purpose.
30 Jan, 2022
2022-1-30 9:43:58 PM UTC

Philomythos wrote:

Yeah I feel like when the entire appeal is the dust jacket, one that looks this rough kinda defeats the purpose.

That's my take on it. If the jacket is rough on one of these, it needs to be relatively cheap as it only serves as a placeholder copy until a better copy turns up. And they definitely do turn up quite a bit more frequently than they did a decade or more back.
31 Jan, 2022
2022-1-31 5:20:53 AM UTC
I am pretty sure that this website is helping with more copies coming forward, if you type 'purple unfinished tales' into Google, the TCG is the top result.

This is the same for the Pleasure in Reading Hobbit, sellers know that there is an interest in them if they have one for sale.
31 Jan, 2022
2022-1-31 5:42:07 AM UTC

Trotter wrote:

I am pretty sure that this website is helping with more copies coming forward, if you type 'purple unfinished tales' into Google, the TCG is the top result.

This is the same for the Pleasure in Reading Hobbit, sellers know that there is an interest in them if they have one for sale.

I think there is some of that. Though I suspect much of it is to do with time. Books seem to take 20 years to start to cycle back onto the market, and I think that's what we have seen here. There were 20 years of almost none showing up, and then in the last 10 years or so, there has been a steady trickle. I think what this site probably does is make sellers realise they are worth something when they decide to sell.
31 Jan, 2022 (edited)
2022-1-31 6:04:43 AM UTC

Trotter wrote:

if you type 'purple unfinished tales' into Google, the TCG is the top result.

The apparent difference in color between this one and other copies of the "purple unfinished tales" is just an illusion of the image, right? The one up for sale now looks to me almost blue in the picture, whereas in images from previous sales these look clearly purple (e.g., here).
31 Jan, 2022
2022-1-31 6:18:24 AM UTC
They are all the same colour, it is just the camera being used that can change the apparent colour in the image.
31 Jan, 2022
2022-1-31 4:53:22 PM UTC
Is there any chance of getting the folks who are printing the POD HoME volumes to do a POD Purple Unfinished Tales as well?
31 Jan, 2022
2022-1-31 5:04:06 PM UTC

Philomythos wrote:

Is there any chance of getting the folks who are printing the POD HoME volumes to do a POD Purple Unfinished Tales as well?

My guess is HarperCollins won't do that. They want you to buy the editions of Unfinished Tales that are in print right now.
31 Jan, 2022
2022-1-31 5:54:53 PM UTC
This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: stevegibbs1283
(335)
Ended Feb 7, 2022
This item ended more than 90 days ago
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us