Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

20 Apr, 2022
2022-4-20 5:31:41 PM UTC
I've been begging HC for a new super-deluxe Lord of the Rings for years now, so I was quite intrigued last week when the Folio Society teased that a new limited edition was coming.

Just having seen the images/video so far, my first impressions are that this set is not to my taste (true of all the Folio Society editions of LR over the years, and the Easton Press ones as well). I feel like the cloth boards with inset images and scrollwork are "Barnes & Noble gift set" quality/styling, rather than "Fine Bindery" design. There are aspects I really like about this set too, but I am not off the fence yet. I don't think it will sell out quickly, and might reconsider if there is a sale price at some point, but I won't feel a gap in my collection if I never get this particular one. If it had been a new illustrator, or full leather, I think I would have perked up more.

For my own collection, there are older editions (currently priced around the same) that I will continue to look for, in fine condition. Might change my mind someday though.

Edit: Wanted to also comment that the regional pricing bugs me (setting aside any commentary on the base price). The exchange rate is $1.3/£1, so as a US buyer, that's a $200 markup even before shipping (which is 4x to the USA as it is to UK buyers - reasonable for a courier service across the Atlantic, my point is the exhange rate markup is just profit, it isn't covering any additional expenses).
20 Apr, 2022
2022-4-20 5:32:51 PM UTC
I will wait for feedbacks from those who ordered it. At £1000 I find it "overkill" especially for the details of the set.
20 Apr, 2022
2022-4-20 6:27:39 PM UTC
Nope. That price is ridiculous and eye-watering. Good luck to those who do end up buying it, and it seems there's quite a few of you here. Hopefully you'll be happy with your purchase. Pics will be interesting.
20 Apr, 2022
2022-4-20 7:07:54 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

I think the main comparison is with this HC set http://tolkienbooks.net/php/details2.php?id=1193 and the Leather Folio Society set, though this is not quarter-bound http://tolkienbooks.net/php/details2.php?id=1201

Not sure if that's a typo: these sets are both quarter-bound. FS also has silk-covered boards & a full-leather slipcase. There is a comparison to be made, but it's not favourable to the newer edition at this price point.
20 Apr, 2022
2022-4-20 7:46:44 PM UTC
Your are right was a typo
20 Apr, 2022
2022-4-20 7:57:18 PM UTC
Are they likely to publish a more affordable "trade edition"?
20 Apr, 2022
2022-4-20 8:04:58 PM UTC

Rohan wrote:

Just a guess, but I imagine HarperCollins would have to approve any new editions published by the Folio Society. A standard edition based on this limited edition would seem to compete with the current HC box set with Alan Lee illustrations.

[Edited to remove erroneous recollection of FS Dune editions.]
20 Apr, 2022
2022-4-20 8:07:50 PM UTC

Rohan wrote:

No, but if this edition sells then I can see them potentially trying to get permission to produce a similar edition of The Hobbit.
20 Apr, 2022
2022-4-20 8:36:20 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

Rohan wrote:

No, but if this edition sells then I can see them potentially trying to get permission to produce a similar edition of The Hobbit.

And the Silmarillion... But probably not this year, as HC will release a new edition on october.
20 Apr, 2022
2022-4-20 9:11:34 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

Just having seen the images/video so far, my first impressions are that this set is not to my taste (true of all the Folio Society editions of LR over the years, and the Easton Press ones as well). I feel like the cloth boards with inset images and scrollwork are "Barnes & Noble gift set" quality/styling, rather than "Fine Bindery" design.

You put it better than I did. First thing I thought was - that looks like an EP coffee table set. That said, I'm in the same position that I have never really been fond of the styling of the Tolkien Folio Editions, so probably no big surprise on this one. Shame as some of their non-Tolkien stuff can be fairly inspired.

Now if HC were to produce a slipcased 3 volume LoTR of the quality, size and *design* of the 2007 SD CoH, I'd pay £1000 for it. No questions asked.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us