Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

The Earth Needs More Elf Fans - Prime Video - See Where It Takes You

20 Jun, 2022 (edited)
2022-6-20 3:13:56 PM UTC

Think this may be a book advert as well as for the TV series, as the edition of The Fellowship of the Ring he is reading comes out on the 7th July.

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated

The Fellowship of the Ring (UK, Trade PB, RoP)

HarperFiction (2022-07-05)

£9.99 HarperCollins (Paperback) - Availability: Click to check
$8.96 Blackwell's (paperback) - Availability: Usually dispatched within 72 hours
$9.26 Biblio (Paperback / softback) - Availability: Click to check
$13.19 Amazon.com (Paperback) - Availability: Now
£6.60 Amazon.co.uk (Paperback) - Availability: Now
€9.57 Amazon.de (Paperback) - Availability: Now
£2.60 AbeBooks - Availability: Click to check
20 Jun, 2022 (edited)
2022-6-20 4:11:59 PM UTC
I’m wondering how much merchandise is being hinted at here - I would buy the “Dagor Nirnaeth Arnoediad” bed-sheet from John Howe, no question. ?

(Photos from NerdoftheRings on Twitter)

1_62b09c4043f59.jpeg 2048X1333 px

1_62b09c4778c5b.jpeg 1680X724 px
20 Jun, 2022 (edited)
2022-6-20 4:19:58 PM UTC
A poster for John Howe's book is on the wall as well along with the obvious Amazon package arriving, everything is available to buy from a certain online retailer.

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated

A Middle-Earth Traveler

William Morrow (2018-10-09)

$29.10 Blackwell's (hardback) - Availability: Usually dispatched within 7 days
$20.72 Biblio (Hardcover) - Availability: Click to check
$17.99 Amazon.com (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
£22.43 Amazon.co.uk (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
€26.00 Amazon.de (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
$18.89 AbeBooks - Availability: Click to check
$18.00 eBay US - Availability: Click to check
20 Jun, 2022
2022-6-20 6:37:04 PM UTC
Trotter
Which poster is that?
Is it still available somewhere?
20 Jun, 2022
2022-6-20 6:57:34 PM UTC
It is a poster of the book cover, probably made especially for the advert.

You can see it on the wall below at 25 seconds.

21 Jun, 2022
2022-6-21 12:08:27 AM UTC

Trotter wrote:

It is a poster of the book cover, probably made especially for the advert.

You can see it on the wall below at 25 seconds.

So who is the audience for this? GoT wasn't aimed at kids. If the audience is adult and kids, I can't see that working well for long-form TV - or at least, it doesn't usually.
21 Jun, 2022 (edited)
2022-6-21 4:26:16 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

So who is the audience for this? GoT wasn't aimed at kids. If the audience is adult and kids, I can't see that working well for long-form TV - or at least, it doesn't usually.

This advert to my mind is saying if you want to buy merchandise relating to The Lord of the Rings and the TV show, you can buy it from Amazon. I think Amazon are happy for any age to buy from them.

I am in favour of people reading Tolkien so like the idea of an advert promoting it and hope more are produced.
21 Jun, 2022
2022-6-21 5:57:31 AM UTC

Trotter wrote:

Stu wrote:

This advert to my mind is saying if you want to buy merchandise relating to The Lord of the Rings and the TV show, you can buy it from Amazon. I think Amazon are happy for any age to buy from them.

I am in favour of people reading Tolkien so like the idea of an advert promoting it and hope more are produced.

Sure, but show-related merchandise for kids only makes sense if kids are an intended audience for the show. No one is buying merchandise for a show they aren't watching.
21 Jun, 2022
2022-6-21 9:02:51 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

Trotter wrote:

Stu wrote:

Sure, but show-related merchandise for kids only makes sense if kids are an intended audience for the show. No one is buying merchandise for a show they aren't watching.

I really liked the advert, I felt kinda like that kid so it reached out to me but I have to agree with Stu about who this is aimed at, then I thought back to my collection of movie extras that were left of the Alien DVD and blu-ray collections, and started thinking about the toys that were aimed at kids, yet the movie was most certainly not. Little aliens, resplendent with a mouth that shoots out, plasma rifles and all sorts of stuff, you could even get a Ripley figure much liek an action hero.

Trotter hits the nail on the head I think, "Amazon are happy for any age to buy from them."

And generally the advert spoke to the 8 year old in me, so Amazon were probably hedging their bets on some kids around 10 or 11 watching this with their parents, and Amazon never miss a chance to market.
21 Jun, 2022
2022-6-21 10:05:52 AM UTC
Also, the show runners have made clear that The Rings of Power will not have the extreme gore and nudity that would have kept many parents from letting their children (or at least attempting from letting them) watch such content. Whether the characterization, themes and dialogue, etc., are juvenile remain to be seen.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us