Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

22 Jun, 2022
2022-6-22 1:59:00 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

The deluxe is like a burnt orange...University of Texas colors

1998 superdeluxe sil or 2021 slipcase deluxe sil?
22 Jun, 2022
2022-6-22 2:00:49 PM UTC
Closer to the '98 I would say.
22 Jun, 2022
2022-6-22 3:34:33 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Did HC give you guys any indication about what the foil stamping motif might be? I scoured through various listings to see if it was mentioned anywhere, but found nada.

Enlarging the photo there is a hint of design near the top, may be edge of a circle of lettering.
22 Jun, 2022
2022-6-22 8:13:15 PM UTC
Interested to see how they pull this off. I like the color and the concept, which puts it a couple steps ahead of other recent releases in my book.
22 Jun, 2022
2022-6-22 8:15:37 PM UTC
I like Sauron giving the finger to the Valar in the foreground as he goes down with the ship in particular...
22 Jun, 2022
2022-6-22 9:07:31 PM UTC
Great news! I really like the cover illustration, by the way.

It's also interesting to see HC still releasing new books in the "old" Deluxe format.
22 Jun, 2022
2022-6-22 10:30:35 PM UTC
AwesomeBooks have both isbn’s listed

I’ll probably wait until they update the title and add the photo before placing an order

AwesomeBooks
23 Jun, 2022
2022-6-23 1:52:46 AM UTC

Eorl the Young wrote:

Well this is a surprise. ?

I’m excited for the new Alan Lee art. Also, as usual, I’m curious and excited about the motif they will use. The rust colour looks nice and different without being weird.

On the flip side, I wonder at the title - I feel like the DOWNFALL of Númenor might’ve been more apt. There’s an important nuance between FALL and DOWNFALL that they seem to have overlooked.

I agree! Considering this will likely be placed on the shelf next to "Fall of Gondolin", it's a little samey.
23 Jun, 2022
2022-6-23 3:11:44 AM UTC

Caudimordax wrote:

Eorl the Young wrote:

I’m excited for the new Alan Lee art. Also, as usual, I’m curious and excited about the motif they will use. The rust colour looks nice and different without being weird.

On the flip side, I wonder at the title - I feel like the DOWNFALL of Númenor might’ve been more apt. There’s an important nuance between FALL and DOWNFALL that they seem to have overlooked.

I agree! Considering this will likely be placed on the shelf next to "Fall of Gondolin", it's a little samey.

Indeed. And I think Tolkien too always (or perhaps most often?!) used “the downfall” whenever he referred to it.
23 Jun, 2022 (edited)
2022-6-23 3:17:00 AM UTC

Eorl the Young wrote:

Caudimordax wrote:

Eorl the Young wrote:

Indeed. And I think Tolkien too always (or perhaps most often?!) used “the downfall” whenever he referred to it.

I'd imagine the publisher just felt omitting a syllable made it a bit more catchy. Pretty sure Tolkien used both "fall" and "downfall".
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us