Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

29 Dec, 2022 (edited)
2022-12-29 9:17:24 PM UTC
I pulled the below 1985 Unicorn paperback off the shelf just now.

A quick check shows that the 1st impression of the 2nd US (and I assume the UK) edition (1965) has the Song and Verse index with these "titles". The 50th Anniversary edition still has them. Sometime after that the index was just using the "first line of the poem or song" (visible as the second part of the Songs and Verses index shown) method rather than the "title" method.

1_63ae03e45c61a.jpeg 3024X4032 px

1_63ae03e45d695.jpeg 2823X3796 px
29 Dec, 2022
2022-12-29 9:34:34 PM UTC
Excellent, thanks for checking Urulókë
Never noticed that back there…
30 Dec, 2022
2022-12-30 5:27:33 AM UTC
I’ve been collecting coins (including from the RM) for years and here’s some insight in case it isn’t clear what’s going on…

The coin is currently being released as part of the 2023 Annual Set on Jan 3. The Annual Sets are available from Brilliant Uncirculated (BU) to Proof standard, in copper-nickel (CuNi), silver, gold and platinum, and likely also as a piedfort (double thickness) coin. Meaning you can pay as little as a few £100 for the cheapest BU CuNi set to as much as £10,000+ for a pure gold or platinum set.

The RM will most likely also release this coin individually in similar finishes and materials later in the year, so those who don’t want to buy the sets (which include other coins they may not care to own!), can likely own just this coin from about £10 (for the cheapest BU CuNi) to £10,000+ for the premium ones.

It should also be noted that the silver, gold and platinum versions are always limited mintage with household limits and can get sold out depending on demand, whereas the BU CuNi are unlimited mintage with no household limits so you will have all year long to buy them.
30 Dec, 2022
2022-12-30 9:31:52 AM UTC

Eorl the Young wrote:

I’ve been collecting coins (including from the RM) for years and here’s some insight in case it isn’t clear what’s going on…

The coin is currently being released as part of the 2023 Annual Set on Jan 3. The Annual Sets are available from Brilliant Uncirculated (BU) to Proof standard, in copper-nickel (CuNi), silver, gold and platinum, and likely also as a piedfort (double thickness) coin. Meaning you can pay as little as a few £100 for the cheapest BU CuNi set to as much as £10,000+ for a pure gold or platinum set.

The RM will most likely also release this coin individually in similar finishes and materials later in the year, so those who don’t want to buy the sets (which include other coins they may not care to own!), can likely own just this coin from about £10 (for the cheapest BU CuNi) to £10,000+ for the premium ones.

It should also be noted that the silver, gold and platinum versions are always limited mintage with household limits and can get sold out depending on demand, whereas the BU CuNi are unlimited mintage with no household limits so you will have all year long to buy them.

Thank you Eorl, that is very useful info and the £10 option sounds perfect for me
3 Jan, 2023
2023-1-3 9:06:12 AM UTC
The coin is available to purchase as part of the 2023 set, but not currently available to buy by itself.

https://www.royalmint.com/annual-sets/ ... d-commemorative-coin-set/
3 Jan, 2023
2023-1-3 9:27:40 AM UTC

Trotter wrote:

The coin is available to purchase as part of the 2023 set, but not currently available to buy by itself.

https://www.royalmint.com/annual-sets/ ... d-commemorative-coin-set/

Yes, as I said above, only the annual sets are being released today. The individual coins will be released over the course of the year.
3 Jan, 2023
2023-1-3 10:28:08 AM UTC
The more expensive sets except for the £7.8k annual gold set are now sold out. I bought the cheaper limited proof set plus some other shiny stuff

5546_63b402b42dd84.jpeg 1500X1500 px
3 Jan, 2023
2023-1-3 12:01:33 PM UTC
Just looked on ebay and flippers are re-selling them, even the proof set I bought is sold out and resold at £170 (£104)
3 Jan, 2023
2023-1-3 4:09:41 PM UTC
“Sold out” at the RM doesn’t really mean much.

The coins and sets usually come back in stock because they space out the release, besides, Account Managers for Mint Marque Members have their own allocations which they can reserve / offer to their customers privately, and of course, official dealers too get pre-allocations from whom you can still purchase at LESS THAN RM issue price.

There will always be a sucker one can find to buy things at inflated prices on eBay.

In the numismatic world, the saying “a fool and his money are easily parted” consistently rings true. ?

ETA: Don’t be fooled by eBay’s so-called “flipped prices” either. There are known cases of shill bidding and sockpuppetting to give a false sense of urgency and inflated value to newly released coins.
3 Jan, 2023
2023-1-3 4:15:31 PM UTC
Well, as I just said, it looks like the sets are all back in stock at the RM. ?
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us