Tolkien Collector's Guide
Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

28 Mar
2023/3/28 22:04:55 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Mods let me know if this is not the right thread for this!

I recently acquired the Unfinished Tales Deluxe Ted Nasmith 2020 edition and it is absolutely gorgeous! However, there is a damaged corner on the box from transportation, some creased pages & some minor ink spots.

I am very new to buying nice editions of books, is it unreasonable to send this back? I want to have realistic expectations in terms of what I should expect when buying these books.

Please note that if it wasn't for the damaged corner on the case I would probably keep it.

5628_642364750e4cd.jpg 4000X3000 px

5628_642364750e9bf.jpg 4000X3000 px

5628_642364750f058.jpg 3000X4000 px
28 Mar
2023/3/28 22:21:31 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Penseur wrote:

Mods let me know if this is not the right thread for this!

I recently acquired the Unfinished Tales Deluxe Ted Nasmith 2020 edition and it is absolutely gorgeous! However, there is a damaged corner on the box from transportation, some creased pages & some minor ink spots.

I am very new to buying nice editions of books, is it unreasonable to send this back? I want to have realistic expectations in terms of what I should expect when buying these books.
Sorry to see that it arrived this way.

You should definitely put in for a replacement copy here. That is a pretty substantial dent. For these volumes at the price point they are that is not acceptable.

And yes, this is an appropriate thread for this comment 馃榿
28 Mar
2023/3/28 22:27:46 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
This is very helpful thank you!

What are your typical attitude/expectations regarding print issues like the ink imprint showcased or the creased pages?
29 Mar
2023/3/29 0:08:33 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Penseur wrote:

This is very helpful thank you!

What are your typical attitude/expectations regarding print issues like the ink imprint showcased or the creased pages?

I'd return one that was dented like that as well. For the creased pages and ink spots that you've shown, those are frustrating but by themselves I might have missed them without a careful scan. For a trade edition, I'd personally not be worried, but for a "deluxe" slipcased one, you have every right to own one that doesn't have those.
31 Mar
2023/3/31 0:09:47 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Look what arrived in the post today, my copy of Tolkien鈥檚 Legendarium, but a couple of people have scribbled in it 馃榿

I was joking around with Mr. Underhill a bit about comparing our copies, and he gave me permission to rib him here in public. I've been slowly adding to my review copy over they years as I meet up with the various contributors - sadly I will never have a chance for a few.

1_642624ae19ad8.jpg 800X1067 px

1_642624b5d8789.jpg 800X1067 px

1_642624bf165ac.jpg 800X326 px

1_642624bf167ea.jpg 800X465 px

1_642624bf169ac.jpg 800X315 px

1_642624bf16b51.jpg 800X434 px

1_642624bf16cf4.jpg 800X392 px

1_642624bf16e9b.jpg 800X266 px

1_642624bf17043.jpg 800X381 px
31 Mar
2023/3/31 0:28:01 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Mr.Underhill i'm sorry to say this but....where are the rest of the signatures in your copy?
31 Mar
2023/3/31 0:45:08 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I have soooo much work to do northman 馃槄

Urul贸k毛, magnificent volume!! Way to one up me 馃槙馃槅
31 Mar
2023/3/31 0:53:36 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
He has his double signed yes, but what about nonuple signed?

5580_64262eff4ae1f.jpg 225X225 px
31 Mar
2023/3/31 3:42:02 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Lest Urul贸k毛 feel too self-satisfied at one-upping Mr. Underhill here is the cover of one of my copies, being one of only three bound in brown leatherette (with another for co-editor Verlyn Flieger and the third presented to Christopher Tolkien himself). It is perhaps the only copy (in any binding) signed by every contributor (at their contributions), and it has some interesting inclusions....

247_6426553facde2.jpeg 2649X3869 px

247_6426553fae4a2.jpeg 2986X3975 px

247_6426553faf908.jpeg 2681X3972 px
31 Mar
2023/3/31 3:56:17 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Aelfwine wrote:

Lest Urul贸k毛 feel too self-satisfied at one-upping Mr. Underhill here is the cover of one of my copies, being one of only three bound in brown leatherette (with another for co-editor Verlyn Flieger and the third presented to Christopher Tolkien himself). It is perhaps the only copy (in any binding) signed by every contributor (at their contributions), and it has some interesting inclusions....

Fantastic to see. 馃榿
Seller: peak_bookshelf
(1509)
Ends 2023/6/24 22:10:51
Buy-It-Now:
$349.99
TolkienGuide is an eBay affiliate

TCG Archives
On This Day

Jump to Last
All original content ©2023 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us