Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

19 Sep, 2018
2018-9-19 5:06:01 PM UTC
Thanks. I’m more curious if anyone has it, likes it, considers it important.
19 Sep, 2018
2018-9-19 5:32:17 PM UTC
I have a copy around somewhere, but I cannot find it at the moment. I really enjoyed the artwork and the research that went into it, I recommend it.
20 Sep, 2018
2018-9-20 12:33:24 AM UTC

Ulmo wrote:
Will the J. R. R. Tolkien Companion and Guide receive a Houghton Mifflin edition?

Seems unlikely HM will publish the second edition (even though they did the first in 2006).

The only hardcover editions of the Atlas are the HM 1st ed., and the revised ed. from Easton Press, is that correct?

You can see the U.S. editions here: www.TolkienBooks.US/ot/maps/atl

What about Journeys of Frodo — anyone have it? I have long heard of it, but never seen one in the flesh.

I'd recommend as well, I think Journeys and Atlas compliment each other.
20 Sep, 2018
2018-9-20 2:05:20 AM UTC
Thanks for the link. I was unaware of that site. Excellent! Is it new?
20 Sep, 2018
2018-9-20 2:34:15 AM UTC

Ulmo wrote:
Thanks for the link. I was unaware of that site. Excellent! Is it new?

Relatively new, yes, came out late last year. It's an incredible site, isn't it?? Whoever made it must be a very interesting, handsome, and charming person. I just wish the pages would load faster!!
20 Sep, 2018
2018-9-20 4:34:30 AM UTC
Well, great work. It is a nice to have an alternative to the spotty (but still much appreciated) ‘The U.S. Tolkien Guide’.

So, are you going to add The Journeys of Frodo?

Does anyone own these: Tolkien's Legendarium and Arda Reconstructed?
20 Sep, 2018
2018-9-20 4:59:11 AM UTC

Ulmo wrote:
Well, great work. It is a nice to have an alternative to the spotty (but still much appreciated) ‘The U.S. Tolkien Guide’.

Thanks Ulmo I feel that it's more like complimentary sites rather than alternatives. Have you seen TCG's fanzine section? Incredible!

So, are you going to add The Journeys of Frodo?

I do plan to add Journeys very soon actually if I can find time.

Does anyone own these: Tolkien's Legendarium and Arda Reconstructed?

Guessing most people here have both, and some here (not me) may even have their names in or on them! Both great books, Legendarium is an absolutely great batch of essays by some of the very best Tolkien scholars. Arda is interesting for sure, though I think there are some divided opinions on it. Both worth having.
20 Sep, 2018
2018-9-20 9:46:36 AM UTC

The Guy that runs the US site really is a clever & handsome guy...

Arda is fabulous just for what Doug attempted; with the qualifier that it's certainly not correct (judging by CT's specific reply to the book) is some of it's conclusions. Legendarium doesn't feel like a "must-have" secondary work to-be-honest. It's a great collection though; especially the Rayner Unwin piece. Haven't even looked at that in a long while; should remind myself of what's actually in it...
20 Sep, 2018
2018-9-20 3:42:01 PM UTC
I wasn't aware that CT responded to Arda, can you point to where that is or give the gist please?
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us