Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

23 Aug, 2019
2019-8-23 8:26:42 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:
Sadly I think the Amazon deal is going to end up like this if you watch the video replace J.K. Rowling characters with J.R.R. Tolkien characters to get a not very good vision of what will probably happen

Well, the marketing of Lord of the Rings has been like this since the Bakshi movies in the late 1970s, with ups and downs based on where Middle-earth Enterprises is in regards to films and TV shows. Amazon's deal is nothing new in this regard - there were literally tens of thousands of "collectible" toys and figurines and glassware and commemorative plates and statues and board games and and and... for the decade around the Peter Jackson movies.

I'm really hoping, though, that Harper Collins can get on top of the "xxx of the Second Age" (Monsters, Characters, Atlas, etc.) rather than a certain author who seems to have a large head start on these kinds of books. At least the hope is with Estate involvement the books would be more accurate.
23 Aug, 2019
2019-8-23 8:41:13 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

Trotter wrote:
Sadly I think the Amazon deal is going to end up like this if you watch the video replace J.K. Rowling characters with J.R.R. Tolkien characters to get a not very good vision of what will probably happen

Well, the marketing of Lord of the Rings has been like this since the Bakshi movies in the late 1970s, with ups and downs based on where Middle-earth Enterprises is in regards to films and TV shows. Amazon's deal is nothing new in this regard - there were literally tens of thousands of "collectible" toys and figurines and glassware and commemorative plates and statues and board games and and and... for the decade around the Peter Jackson movies.

I'm really hoping, though, that Harper Collins can get on top of the "xxx of the Second Age" (Monsters, Characters, Atlas, etc.) rather than a certain author who seems to have a large head start on these kinds of books. At least the hope is with Estate involvement the books would be more accurate.

I'm hoping that I can just tune it all out - It is just all too cynically commercially driven for me at this point. I don't imagine two-volume copies of The Hobbit will be the worst of the printed junk this cycle. Whilst the existence of it all doesn't change the primary work, ... it kind of does devalue it in my personal perception (others will legitimately feel differently). The ME Enterprises tat doesn't bother me, because that is obvious tat. It is the garbage printed material that irks me.

Sadly, I think DD will sell a lot of books as well. A mountain of rubbish all shiny and printed in China, clogging up the book stores.
25 Aug, 2019
2019-8-25 8:31:22 AM UTC
The 2 volume Hobbit and the 7 volume LOTR (with the spines spelling TOLKIEN) seemed stupid and unnecessary to me.
25 Aug, 2019
2019-8-25 11:10:36 PM UTC

Eorl wrote:
The 2 volume Hobbit and the 7 volume LOTR (with the spines spelling TOLKIEN) seemed stupid and unnecessary to me.

Yep, both just straining at an excuse to make a product that no reason to be.
13 Sep, 2019
2019-9-13 12:00:02 AM UTC
Also, something to factor in, is will it be the same dimensions as the 'usual' deluxe editions?? I can think of some titles that are "off" in that regard:

- The Hobbit (Facsimile Edition, 2016)
- The Hobbit illustrated by Jemima Catlin (the red deluxe one)
- The Lord of the rings illustrated by Alan Lee (60th anniversary illustrated edition)

The product descriptions, mere format, and listing on Tolkien.co.uk do label these as "deluxe editions".
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us