Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

9 Nov, 2019
2019-11-9 4:32:56 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:
Well, it is - all titles that exist in deluxe edition, also exist in standard hardback and paperback; in some shape or form

That is not at all what I meant, I mean that the deluxe releases are becoming the primary way HarperCollins are freshening the catalog and it leaves a lot to be desired. HarperCollins can't even be bothered updating the Tolkien website to include recent updates. No mention of the Gondolin audio which comes out in 6 days.
9 Nov, 2019
2019-11-9 7:18:39 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

insurrbution wrote:
Well, it is - all titles that exist in deluxe edition, also exist in standard hardback and paperback; in some shape or form

That is not at all what I meant, I mean that the deluxe releases are becoming the primary way HarperCollins are freshening the catalog and it leaves a lot to be desired. HarperCollins can't even be bothered updating the Tolkien website to include recent updates. No mention of the Gondolin audio which comes out in 6 days.

I would guess the margins on the 'deluxe' editions are very high relative to a trade hardback. I can see why they are doing this as a re-release strategy.
9 Nov, 2019
2019-11-9 11:38:34 PM UTC
Maybe we should collectively approach HC with suggestions. After al, it is people like us who would purchase these. Even print on demand could work perhaps.
10 Nov, 2019
2019-11-10 12:08:44 AM UTC

Eorl wrote:
Maybe we should collectively approach HC with suggestions. After al, it is people like us who would purchase these. Even print on demand could work perhaps.

In general, you may assume that HC is aware of this community’s requests, complaints and compliments. ?
10 Nov, 2019
2019-11-10 12:20:04 AM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

Eorl wrote:

In general, you may assume that HC is aware of this community’s requests, complaints and compliments. ?

Yes, I fear I am probably persona-non-grata with HC. At least I helped them with that Facsimile Hobbit (and I think that faux first edition LoTR used a scan of my The Two Towers)....

Maybe I will say nice things about the Father Christmas Letters if it ever arrives from BD...
10 Nov, 2019
2019-11-10 6:30:51 AM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

Eorl wrote:

They certainly are ?
10 Nov, 2019
2019-11-10 7:42:31 AM UTC
If anyone does happen to be in contact with HC at any point, I'd be interested in the size of the print run for the 1st impression of Father Christmas. I'd guess that it would perhaps be larger than some or the more niche editions (IIRC Fall of Arthur was 2,000 copies).
10 Nov, 2019
2019-11-10 2:01:22 PM UTC
Great to hear... it gives me hope ?
10 Nov, 2019
2019-11-10 2:06:23 PM UTC
Also, what is Finn and Hengest? Was some part of it included in the Beowulf deluxe edition?
10 Nov, 2019
2019-11-10 4:53:27 PM UTC
something that people will likely get, because it says "Tolkien" on the cover, but unless you're an Old English scholar, most Tolkien fans - of any level - may not find it of use.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us