Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

26 Jun, 2020
2020-6-26 8:13:00 PM UTC
Yeh, but now I've got to wait for that boat to cruise on over to the UK...
26 Jun, 2020
2020-6-26 8:16:18 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:
It is my understanding that there is only one edition - when those of you in the UK start getting your "UK" edition I think it has the exact same copyright page (and was part of the same print run in Singapore). Just took longer for the boats to get to the UK than the US.

Are you sure? Each book has a different ISBN. Possibly identical other than publisher name and ISBN & Price/Currency on DJ?
26 Jun, 2020
2020-6-26 8:17:51 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:
It is my understanding that there is only one edition - when those of you in the UK start getting your "UK" edition I think it has the exact same copyright page (and was part of the same print run in Singapore). Just took longer for the boats to get to the UK than the US.

Well, looking at Amazon UK, it does appear that Frances Lincoln does have separate ISBN numbers, so I would assume the copyright page reflects that (not having seen anyone share an image of that yet). So they are different!

Difficult choice then - follow the author (get the UK edition), or get the true first edition (the US edition was released a month before the UK one). Decisions, decisions...
26 Jun, 2020
2020-6-26 8:18:36 PM UTC
Francis Lincoln one here at £13.94 with free UK Delivery

https://www.booksetc.co.uk/books/view/-9780711241275
26 Jun, 2020
2020-6-26 8:19:22 PM UTC
I have ordered both - so will be able to report back when they arrive.
26 Jun, 2020
2020-6-26 8:19:47 PM UTC

remy wrote:

Urulókë wrote:

Are you sure? Each book has a different ISBN. Possibly identical other than publisher name and ISBN & Price/Currency on DJ?

No dustjacket. But the US edition does have the Princeton logo on the spine and with the UPC code on the rear cover, which also has the US price on it. I would assume the UK edition differs there as well.
26 Jun, 2020
2020-6-26 8:27:11 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

Urulókë wrote:

Well, looking at Amazon UK, it does appear that Frances Lincoln does have separate ISBN numbers, so I would assume the copyright page reflects that (not having seen anyone share an image of that yet). So they are different!

Difficult choice then - follow the author (get the UK edition), or get the true first edition (the US edition was released a month before the UK one). Decisions, decisions...

The official "publication" date is what matters; doesn't really matter what one ended up washing up in the shops first. However, it does now appear I've ordered the "wrong" one. Which as I said, is defo your fault!

I may need to bite the bullet & do a remy...
26 Jun, 2020
2020-6-26 8:32:51 PM UTC

The official "publication" date is what matters; doesn't really matter what one ended up washing up in the shops first. However, it does now appear I've ordered the "wrong" one. Which as I said, is defo your fault!

I may need to bite the bullet & do a remy...

Mea culpa... I definitely blew this one.

I blame the virus (and the constantly moving publication dates).
26 Jun, 2020
2020-6-26 8:41:00 PM UTC
Not the only thing you're to blame for recently...

;)
26 Jun, 2020
2020-6-26 8:46:30 PM UTC
? ? ?
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us