Amazon.co.uk
Blackwell's
ebay.com
ebay.co.uk

-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Tolkien's Worlds: The places that inspired the writer's imagination

May 14, 2019 (edited)
2019/5/14 14:32:14 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

This new book from renowned Tolkien expert John Garth connects the places which inspired Tolkien with their eventual appearances in his work. Organised by theme, Tolkien鈥檚 Worlds offers an illustrated biography of one of the world鈥檚 best-loved authors, an exploration of the relationship between worlds real and fantastical, and an inspiration for anyone who wants to follow in Tolkien鈥檚 footsteps. Featuring over 100 images, the book includes Tolkien鈥檚 own illustrations, maps, archive images and spectacular present-day photographs.

Published 4th February 2020 in the UK and March 2020 in the US/Canada at the moment.

Tolkien's Worlds on Amazon.co.uk

For US and Canada, you can order from Princeton University Press

10_5cdad1678ac4f.jpg 2067X2560 px
Load previous replies
Jun 26
2020/6/26 20:19:22 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I have ordered both - so will be able to report back when they arrive.
Jun 26
2020/6/26 20:19:47 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

remy wrote:

Urul贸k毛 wrote:
It is my understanding that there is only one edition - when those of you in the UK start getting your "UK" edition I think it has the exact same copyright page (and was part of the same print run in Singapore). Just took longer for the boats to get to the UK than the US.

Are you sure? Each book has a different ISBN. Possibly identical other than publisher name and ISBN & Price/Currency on DJ?

No dustjacket. But the US edition does have the Princeton logo on the spine and with the UPC code on the rear cover, which also has the US price on it. I would assume the UK edition differs there as well.
Jun 26
2020/6/26 20:27:11 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Urul贸k毛 wrote:

Urul贸k毛 wrote:
It is my understanding that there is only one edition - when those of you in the UK start getting your "UK" edition I think it has the exact same copyright page (and was part of the same print run in Singapore). Just took longer for the boats to get to the UK than the US.

Well, looking at Amazon UK, it does appear that Frances Lincoln does have separate ISBN numbers, so I would assume the copyright page reflects that (not having seen anyone share an image of that yet). So they are different!

Difficult choice then - follow the author (get the UK edition), or get the true first edition (the US edition was released a month before the UK one). Decisions, decisions...

The official "publication" date is what matters; doesn't really matter what one ended up washing up in the shops first. However, it does now appear I've ordered the "wrong" one. Which as I said, is defo your fault!

I may need to bite the bullet & do a remy...
Jun 26
2020/6/26 20:32:51 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

The official "publication" date is what matters; doesn't really matter what one ended up washing up in the shops first. However, it does now appear I've ordered the "wrong" one. Which as I said, is defo your fault!

I may need to bite the bullet & do a remy...

Mea culpa... I definitely blew this one.

I blame the virus (and the constantly moving publication dates).
Jun 26
2020/6/26 20:41:00 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Not the only thing you're to blame for recently...

;)
Jun 26
2020/6/26 20:46:30 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
馃ぃ 馃槵 馃
Jun 26
2020/6/26 21:30:01 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Here's the UK copyright... U.S. can be seen on my website.

Jeremy - It isn't supposed to have a link, but I keep it like that in hopes that TolkienBooks.net may someday be updated and I can link to it. It follows the same format as the rest of my site.

4451_5ef668a00b5b4.jpg 1157X903 px
Jun 27
2020/6/27 9:07:19 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
So clearly a Frances Lincoln produced book. And I read from those copyright's that the UK edition is the primary one.

Thanks for that discount on that US book, Jeremy!
Jun 27
2020/6/27 20:17:31 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
So can someone (Jeremy?) please confirm the official publication date and release dates for each version? I'm a bit confused as I had both pre-ordered and received my UK copy on May 20 (Book Depository) and my US copy on June 13 (Amazon).
Jun 27
2020/6/27 20:41:37 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I will dig in and find out. The 鈥渙fficial鈥 date is June 9th from both, but I know that Princeton was shipping these for direct orders in early May (my copy shipped May 13th but others shipped a few days before that, May 10th or earlier).
Jump to Last