The Lord of the Rings Illustrated Edition
$100.90
TolkienGuide is a Blackwell's affiliate
Tolkien Collector's Guide
May 11
2021/5/11 4:19:59 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Ligandil wrote:

TCGBot wrote:

Seller: colgate-biology
(871)
Ended May 11, 2021
$204.01
[35 Bids]
Submitted by: Urulókë

Went for $204 ...

These bids scare me.

Meh, not scary. You just decide what it is worth to you and place your bid accordingly. At the end of the day, these are just books, so perfectly OK to not get copies of them (or to wait until prices are more sensible).
May 11
2021/5/11 4:26:43 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Haha thank you for the comforting words.

What it's scary is the realization that I'll never be able to win bids for these kind of prices, so if one day I want a copy of this set, for example, I'll have to be extremely lucky.
May 11
2021/5/11 4:31:41 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Ligandil wrote:

Haha thank you for the comforting words.

What it's scary is the realization that I'll never be able to win bids for these kind of prices, so if one day I want a copy of this set, for example, I'll have to be extremely lucky.

Just keep looking, you'll most definitely be able to find this set for a fair price if you're patient. They pop up on eBay and elsewhere constantly.
May 11
2021/5/11 4:33:53 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Ligandil wrote:

Haha thank you for the comforting words.

What it's scary is the realization that I'll never be able to win bids for these kind of prices, so if one day I want a copy of this set, for example, I'll have to be extremely lucky.

I don't think so. One day a set will have a lot of bids and the next day, none. This has been the case for the entire time I have been collecting via eBay (getting on for 20 years). You just have to be patient. There was never a golden era where patience wasn't needed, to be honest.
May 11
2021/5/11 4:49:58 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Thanks, Berelach and Stu.

So far I haven't been able to win any eBay bid. I've only been using it for 2 months, though, so your advice is very much appreciated.
May 11
2021/5/11 5:03:56 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Ligandil wrote:

Thanks, Berelach and Stu.

So far I haven't been able to win any eBay bid. I've only been using it for 2 months, though, so your advice is very much appreciated.

If it helps, I've lost far more eBay auctions than I have won!
May 11
2021/5/11 6:05:43 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Stu wrote:

Ligandil wrote:

Thanks, Berelach and Stu.

So far I haven't been able to win any eBay bid. I've only been using it for 2 months, though, so your advice is very much appreciated.

If it helps, I've lost far more eBay auctions than I have won!

Expect to lose, hope to win
May 11
2021/5/11 11:36:18 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Ligandil wrote:

Thanks, Berelach and Stu.

So far I haven't been able to win any eBay bid. I've only been using it for 2 months, though, so your advice is very much appreciated.

You will break that streak at some point so don't be too concerned. As has been said here already, be patient, and vigilent, not just of sellers trying to make a quick buck in this odd time of Tolkien collecting but also vigilent to your own frustration. We have all been there and afterward thought "how the hell did I pay that for that ". Copies will come at better prices. Don't pay more than you think a book is worth.
May 11
2021/5/11 20:15:28 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I was v lucky & was gifted a G Wilson signed set in pretty good shape.
May 11
2021/5/11 23:00:28 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Seller: harpcharityshopsouthend
(2147)
Ended May 17, 2021
Buy-It-Now:
£15.00
Submitted by: Khamûl
Jump to Last