Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

14 May, 2021
2021-5-14 10:41:23 PM UTC

Aelfwine wrote:

So, I don't want to derail the thread, but suffice it to say that while I developed an interest in Tolkien, linguistics, and Tolkienian linguistics long before I had any notion of working for NASA (and in fact linguistics preceded Tolkien), or even in becoming a professional computer programmer, I did enter university (1983) with a plan to seek a degree in Physics, which before I graduated became a degree in Computer Science. That, and being in the right place at the right time, is how I ended up working at NASA.

Me neither but thank you. I am always fascinated how people end up where they do. Especially two subjects as diverse as Tolkien and NASA.
14 May, 2021
2021-5-14 11:07:46 PM UTC
I don’t mind if the topic gets derailed ?. I also think it’s fascinating to combine Science with Languages/Tolkien.
15 May, 2021
2021-5-15 1:56:57 AM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Hey Urulókë, maybe you should interview Carl he has a book coming out so I've heard.

Hmmmm, Mayyyyyybeeeeee.......

?
15 May, 2021 (edited)
2021-5-15 3:18:05 AM UTC

Ligandil wrote:

Thanks to Trotter for the help!

I have an additional question, for anyone who would like to help out:

Does anyone know any Old Norse/Icelandic grammars Tolkien might have used/be familiar with, especially as a student, or alternatively during his professor years?

Trotter checked for Guðbrandur Vigfússon and George Bayldon in Tolkien's Library, but there were no entries. Thanks in advance!

From Tolkien's Library:

• 262. Buckhurst, Helen T MacMillan. An Elementary Grammar of Old Icelandic. London: Methuen and Col Ltd. 1925. (Source: Philology: General Works VI 1927 for 1925 p. 57 n. 13.)
  • 813. Gordon, Eric Valentine. An Introduction to Old Norse. London, Oxford University Press, 1927. (From Tolkien's personal library. Also, note: 'For help in preparing the apparatus of the book I am indebited especially to Professor J.R.R. Tolkien, who read the proofs of the Grammar and made valuable suggestions and corrections.')
  • 1022. Holthausen, Ferdinand. Altislädisches Elementarbuch. Series: Lehrbuch der altisländischen Sprache, 1. Weimar: Emil Felber, 1895. (In Tolkien's personal Celtic library, preserved in the Weston. Annotated by JRRT). (Aelfwine already mentioned)
  • 1772. Noreen, Adolf Gotthard. Altislädische und altnorwegishe Grammatik. (Tolkien's personal Celtic library in the Weston) (Aelfwine already mentioned)
  • 2595. Zoëga, Geir T.; Richard Cleasby and Guðbrandur Vigfússon (Edited by). A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic. Oxford: At the Clarendon Press, 1910. (Source: note in A Middle English Vocabulary)

From the Supervisor and Examiner 1929-1960 section of Tolkien's Library:
  • 9. Buckhurst, H. M. (St Hugh College). The Historical Grammar of Old Icelandic (Supervisor, JRRT).

There may be more hiding in here, but that's what I could find this evening.
15 May, 2021
2021-5-15 5:50:00 AM UTC
Wonderful, Urolókë, this was incredibly helpful! Of course, now I remember E.V. Gordon from Carpenter's biography! I should have remembered him! (Trotter, seems Vigfússon did appear after all, but just in another entry ).

Really, huge thanks to all! This made my day!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us