Tolkien Collector's Guide
May 14
2021/5/14 22:41:23 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Aelfwine wrote:

So, I don't want to derail the thread, but suffice it to say that while I developed an interest in Tolkien, linguistics, and Tolkienian linguistics long before I had any notion of working for NASA (and in fact linguistics preceded Tolkien), or even in becoming a professional computer programmer, I did enter university (1983) with a plan to seek a degree in Physics, which before I graduated became a degree in Computer Science. That, and being in the right place at the right time, is how I ended up working at NASA.

Me neither but thank you. I am always fascinated how people end up where they do. Especially two subjects as diverse as Tolkien and NASA.
May 14
2021/5/14 23:07:46 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I don’t mind if the topic gets derailed 😃. I also think it’s fascinating to combine Science with Languages/Tolkien.
May 15
2021/5/15 1:56:57 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

onthetrail wrote:

Hey Urulókë, maybe you should interview Carl he has a book coming out so I've heard.

Hmmmm, Mayyyyyybeeeeee.......

😉
May 15 (edited)
2021/5/15 3:18:05 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Ligandil wrote:

Thanks to Trotter for the help!

I have an additional question, for anyone who would like to help out:

Does anyone know any Old Norse/Icelandic grammars Tolkien might have used/be familiar with, especially as a student, or alternatively during his professor years?

Trotter checked for Guðbrandur Vigfússon and George Bayldon in Tolkien's Library, but there were no entries. Thanks in advance!

From Tolkien's Library:

• 262. Buckhurst, Helen T MacMillan. An Elementary Grammar of Old Icelandic. London: Methuen and Col Ltd. 1925. (Source: Philology: General Works VI 1927 for 1925 p. 57 n. 13.)
  • 813. Gordon, Eric Valentine. An Introduction to Old Norse. London, Oxford University Press, 1927. (From Tolkien's personal library. Also, note: 'For help in preparing the apparatus of the book I am indebited especially to Professor J.R.R. Tolkien, who read the proofs of the Grammar and made valuable suggestions and corrections.')
  • 1022. Holthausen, Ferdinand. Altislädisches Elementarbuch. Series: Lehrbuch der altisländischen Sprache, 1. Weimar: Emil Felber, 1895. (In Tolkien's personal Celtic library, preserved in the Weston. Annotated by JRRT). (Aelfwine already mentioned)
  • 1772. Noreen, Adolf Gotthard. Altislädische und altnorwegishe Grammatik. (Tolkien's personal Celtic library in the Weston) (Aelfwine already mentioned)
  • 2595. Zoëga, Geir T.; Richard Cleasby and Guðbrandur Vigfússon (Edited by). A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic. Oxford: At the Clarendon Press, 1910. (Source: note in A Middle English Vocabulary)

From the Supervisor and Examiner 1929-1960 section of Tolkien's Library:
  • 9. Buckhurst, H. M. (St Hugh College). The Historical Grammar of Old Icelandic (Supervisor, JRRT).

There may be more hiding in here, but that's what I could find this evening.
May 15
2021/5/15 5:50:00 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Wonderful, Urolókë, this was incredibly helpful! Of course, now I remember E.V. Gordon from Carpenter's biography! I should have remembered him! (Trotter, seems Vigfússon did appear after all, but just in another entry ).

Really, huge thanks to all! This made my day!
Jump to Last