Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

20 Nov, 2022 (edited)
2022-11-20 10:15:02 PM UTC

ibid wrote:

Has "Untitled (‘Winged sun’) [device]" been published anywhere else before?

And has "Untitled (Frieze of Trees)" previously appeared anywhere other than the tolkien estate website?

I'm thinking these two drawings are new to this book.

The 'Winged Sun' (Tolkien Art Index #96) has appeared in:
  • The 1979 Tolkien Calendar (July)
  • Pictures by JRR Tolkien - Item 44. (Patterns 2) and on the front board of the new edition
  • Artist & Illustrator (figure 183 on p. 186)

I'm not aware offhand if the trees image has been published somewhere else, it isn't in the TAI yet!

[EDIT] did a bit more digging, it was shown in the BNF exhibition (MS Tolkien Drawings 88, fol. 40) but is not pictured in the catalogue.
21 Nov, 2022
2022-11-21 12:47:12 AM UTC
Thanks. The Silm edition was treating it like a heraldic device, so i didn't really think to check anywhere else.

Here's a spreadsheet I've put together showing which books each of the Silm illustrations have previously appeared in.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d ... fT2q_q0q073XUv9Fh7oD-vqI/
21 Nov, 2022
2022-11-21 6:21:58 AM UTC

ibid wrote:

Thanks. The Silm edition was treating it like a heraldic device, so i didn't really think to check anywhere else.

Here's a spreadsheet I've put together showing which books each of the Silm illustrations have previously appeared in.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d ... fT2q_q0q073XUv9Fh7oD-vqI/

Thanks for this, it is a really useful resource
21 Nov, 2022
2022-11-21 6:29:36 AM UTC
TAI hasn't updated the newly added images on Estate website, like TAI #128 & 427, which appear here.
21 Nov, 2022
2022-11-21 10:35:51 AM UTC
This is great work. Thank you.

For those interested, TAI did not give an archive reference for TAI #114 as it has never had a reference given against it in any publication. The information is in fact in Tolkien: Life and Legend, p. 74, but it is not in plane sight or obvious.

It is MS. Tolkien Drawings 87, fol. 54.
21 Nov, 2022
2022-11-21 1:10:57 PM UTC
My copy of the Illustrated Deluxe edition arrived from Amazon UK. However, after just a few days of light use the "S" in the spine title has almost completely worn off. I noticed the spine lettering isn't recessed like it is on LOTR and some of the other deluxe editions. This seems like a big problem for longevity.

For now, I'm going to shelve it as a collector's item and get a cheaper copy for reading. Any suggestions for repair or protecting the spine lettering? Anyone else had this issue?

I'll be over here enjoying my deluxe copy of the "ilmarillion."
21 Nov, 2022
2022-11-21 1:17:13 PM UTC
I've seen a few mentions of this on Reddit.

My advice here as there, send it back. HarperCollins quality is passing into the realms of Myth and buyers keeping defective products only adds to their lack of accountability.
21 Nov, 2022
2022-11-21 3:21:06 PM UTC

zionius wrote:

TAI hasn't updated the newly added images on Estate website, like TAI #128 & 427, which appear here.

TAI also hasn't added The Art of the Manuscript yet, which has a ton of the heraldic stuff.
21 Nov, 2022 (edited)
2022-11-21 3:48:07 PM UTC

ibid wrote:

TAI also hasn't added The Art of the Manuscript yet, which has a ton of the heraldic stuff.
Just wanted to remind you to update the M6 and M50 cells in your spreadsheet :) I only did a quick check so there could be more images on the website.

BTW, I notice the kindle version of this edition changed the word "mould" to "mound" in S QS.01.011:

Before its western gate there was a green mound, Ezellohar, that is named also Corollairë; and Yavanna hallowed it, and she sat there long upon the green grass and sang a song of power, in which was set all her thought of things that grow in the earth. But Nienna thought in silence, and watered the mould with tears.

Have they changed it in the paper version too? As far as I know, this variant has appeared in at least one paper version. I guess the editor modified it to "mound" since "mound" is mentioned in the context. However Tolkien often used these two words together, and the versions in HoMe also used "mould".
21 Nov, 2022
2022-11-21 8:47:03 PM UTC

phonemic wrote:

My copy of the Illustrated Deluxe edition arrived from Amazon UK. However, after just a few days of light use the "S" in the spine title has almost completely worn off. I noticed the spine lettering isn't recessed like it is on LOTR and some of the other deluxe editions. This seems like a big problem for longevity.

For now, I'm going to shelve it as a collector's item and get a cheaper copy for reading. Any suggestions for repair or protecting the spine lettering? Anyone else had this issue?

I'll be over here enjoying my deluxe copy of the "ilmarillion."

Please don't try and fix it - Return it to HarperCollins (via whoever you purchased it from) for replacement. And if it happens again, return it again. These are not cheap books and they need to be fit for purpose, not just shelf adornments that can't be touched.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us