Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

15 May, 2022
2022-5-15 4:25:55 PM UTC

Falkor wrote:

Trotter wrote:

I thought it was a good price, even without the additional 20% off, though it may well be cheaper at some point from other sellers, it was a price that I was comfortable with.

Have you ordered and received new books from awesomebooks? I have not heard of them so was looking at reviews, and of course all the negative ones come up first but most if not all were for used books.

I have ordered several new books from awesomebooks (to California) and it was smooth. No problems whatsoever.
16 May, 2022 (edited)
2022-5-16 1:51:54 AM UTC

Ligandil wrote:

I have ordered several new books from awesomebooks (to California) and it was smooth. No problems whatsoever.

Thanks, I went ahead and placed an order with them, and threw in nature of middle earth to test them out.

The code Checkout10 did get me 10% off my order
16 May, 2022
2022-5-16 5:39:15 AM UTC

Falkor wrote:

Ligandil wrote:

Thanks, I went ahead and placed an order with them, and threw in nature of middle earth to test them out.

The code Checkout10 did get me 10% off my order

Thank you for the feedback and the discount code! I placed an order too.
16 May, 2022
2022-5-16 8:27:24 AM UTC
I placed my order with them as well. Let's see how it goes... :)
16 May, 2022
2022-5-16 8:40:49 AM UTC
Likewise, with the extra 10% off, seemed worth the punt. Can always cancel if a better offer comes along.
1 Jun, 2022
2022-6-1 2:05:39 AM UTC
If this isn’t allowed or not the right spot, mods please edit

I wanted to give a quick comment about Awesome Books. I did place an order with them for both copies of Foster’s book, and went ahead and orders Unfinished Tales deluxe and nature of middle earth.

UT and NoME arrived today, 15 days after placing the order. The packaging was great and books arrived in perfect condition.

My only comment is I reached out to customer service because I didn’t receive any update for several days after placing my order. It appears they do not carry inventory on new books and place orders as they come in. So if you’re in a rush for the Foster books, awesome books will not be your quickest option.
1 Jun, 2022
2022-6-1 2:12:15 AM UTC

Falkor wrote:

...I wanted to give a quick comment about Awesome Books. I did place an order with them for both copies of Foster’s book, and went ahead and orders Unfinished Tales deluxe and nature of middle earth.

UT and NoME arrived today, 15 days after placing the order. The packaging was great and books arrived in perfect condition.

My only comment is I reached out to customer service because I didn’t receive any update for several days after placing my order. It appears they do not carry inventory on new books and place orders as they come in. So if you’re in a rush for the Foster books, awesome books will not be your quickest option.

If you mean the new illustrated Foster's Complete Guide to Middle-earth, that is currently pre-orderable but will not be released until September - no retailers have it in stock.
1 Jun, 2022
2022-6-1 2:23:41 AM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

If you mean the new illustrated Foster's Complete Guide to Middle-earth, that is currently pre-orderable but will not be released until September - no retailers have it in stock.

They did not have UT or NoME in stock and it sounds like they do not keep any new condition books in stock. Or I misunderstood their feedback.

So my thinking is when Foster’s book comes out, they won’t have it day 1 and may take some extra time for it to come in.
1 Jun, 2022
2022-6-1 2:37:26 AM UTC

Falkor wrote:

They did not have UT or NoME in stock and it sounds like they do not keep any new condition books in stock. Or I misunderstood their feedback.

So my thinking is when Foster’s book comes out, they won’t have it day 1 and may take some extra time for it to come in.

Ah, ok. I misunderstood and thought you were saying they didn't have Foster's for you. Sorry for my confusion!

It does sound like Awesome Books keeps their costs down by not having any warehouse stock other than transient as book orders come in.

For pre-orders, I would assume that they place an order with the distributor for all their pre-orders before release day, so they they have copies to ship out to everyone who pre-orders. The risk they (and their customers) run in this situation, is that the distributor might not be able to fulfill their order immediately. I do recall some people with pre-orders having to wait some days after release for their orders to ship due to situations like this.
8 Jul, 2022
2022-7-8 9:18:13 AM UTC
Very interesting article in this months Beyond Bree (https://beyondbree.org/) about the history of this book

DAYS OF THE CRAZE #41: ROBERT FOSTER’S COMPLETE GUIDE TO MIDDLE-EARTH
by Dale Nelson with the Assistance of Bob Foster
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us